Flamenco Practice Sessions Are Back…y mejór que nunca
It’s the Revival of the Flamenco Practice Session
As we all know, flamenco is not a solitary art form; it is important to practice collectively and become accustomed to working with others. These sessions are something in-between a class and a juerga.
This is a chance for students to practice choreographies learned in class with live accompaniment. It’s one-on-one time between you and the musicians with guidance, a time to take what you’ve been learning in class a step further. Dancers will take turns running pieces of their choosing (pieces learned in class with Laura or in a workshop with a guest artist.) When not dancing you will practice accompanying fellow dancers with palmas and jaleos. And, if you’re not ready for one-on-one, you can get up with other students…
At Stomptown Collective – 226 SE Madison where our classes are held
April 5 ~ 7:30pm
Please let me know if you’d like to participate.
How Much Will it Cost?
$5 (friends and family are welcome to come and watch for free)
Why Would I Want to Do This?
- To sink the dances in
- To take what you’re learning in class a step further
- To have one-on-one time with the musicians
- To receive personal feedback & guidance
- To have a safe place to experiment & mess up!
- To learn what to do/how to go on when you do in fact mess up (because it happens, somos humanos)
- To become more comfortable getting up in front of people
- To dance in front of people who are supportive and educated about flamenco & interested in growing and sharing
- To better understand the compás
- To have a clearer picture of where you’re at with a give dance/step/palo
- To understand how to support fellow dancers with palmas
- To become more comfortable giving jaleos
- To observe the interplay between the dancer and musicians
- To push yourself
- To have something to work toward
- To recognize your progress
- To become better-prepared to get up at a juerga
- To become begin preparing for a Student SHOW (if you so desire to participate)
- Para pasarlo bien!
With regular participation , you are bound to see improvement in your compás, comfort level, conocimiento of the different dances, and improvisational skills!