It’s good for the Body, Soul & Brain
(Really, it is!)
Flamenco is not simply another form of art; it offers numerous benefits to your health and well being. Not only can you expect to have a good time learning a new way of moving in a supportive and encouraging environment, but you will experience the emotional benefits of physically using your body and the cognitive benefits of exercising your brain.
For years, work was taking up too much of my life. That is why I like flamenco so much now. I have to concentrate hard to make the dance moves. So I don’t think about work. If I go swimming, biking, or hiking my mind is free to wander about work. So with flamenco, it is great fun and good medicine for me – and I don’t think about work. - Marina, Salem, OR
So, just what are some of the benefits of flamenco?
- Build your confidence while increasing your overall muscle strength and brain health.
- Strengthen your core, improve your posture, and improve your mind body coordination through integrated movements.
- Improve your rhythm and expand your knowledge of a different culture while learning to express yourself individually.
- Challenge your brain by continually building new neurological connections.
- Feel Happy! Exercise and repetitive movement have been found to increase serotonin in the brain. [There is a lot of repetitive movement in both baile and palmas class.]
- Practice expressing your feelings.
- Learn to listen to and follow your instincts.
- Practice being present.
- El Español. Spanish language incorporated into classes helps maintain the connection to flamenco’s origins and helps prepare students for workshops with visiting artists from Spain.
- Being part of a positive learning community - perhaps one of my favorite benefits – We have fun doing this!
- Oh, and, the increased confidence and the act of having a good time and physical exercise all aid in brain development as well.
Perhaps you’re thinking, I’m too old to start this now. Not so. Most of our students began studying flamenco as adults and quickly became hooked on this art form which they might not have known a lot about before.
Flamenco is wonderful for individuals who never considered themselves dancers and for dancers alike.
Take your mind off of your daily activities with one of our events. We invite you to come experience flamenco with us.